Thursday, June 11, 2009

UP- Not "just" a cartoon

SQUIRREL!!

If you've seen Up, you just smiled. And, that is what the newest release from Disney/Pixar is really all about. You'll laugh, and possibly even tear up with this one. It's the sort of movie that proves "cartoons" can be just as realistic as live action films. In fact, film critic Roger Ebert gave it four stars- the same rating he gave to both Slumdog Millionaire,and Milk, starring Sean Penn.

"Up" is written and directed by Bob Peterson, and Pete Docter. Peterson wrote the screenplay for Finding Nemo, Docter wrote a few little movies you may have heard of: Toy Story, Toy Story 2,and Wall-E.

Based on the resumes of the writers, I was excited to see this movie. The premise, an old man who attaches balloons to his house to make it fly, seems as bit silly on the surface. Let me tell you, it's so much more than that. In fact, throughout the movie, I found myself hoping those balloons would just hold out a little bit longer. It adds an element of suspense to the movie.

Up portrays a man in the twilight of his life, wondering what to do next. Ever since he was a child, he dreamed of being an adventurer in South America. However, his life takes a different path. He meets an unlikely sidekick, and the movie deals with some themes we'll all face someday, like how our idols may turn out to be less than the perfect person we made them out to be. It's definitely one for all ages, and if you're an adult, let me tell you. It's not just a kid's movie. All of the adults in the theatre errupted into laughter numerous times throughout.

This film is offered at theatres in both 2D, and 3D. I saw it in 3D. I personally don't find it a rip off to pay the extra 3 dollars to see it in 3D. I went on Tuesday, the "cheap" night at the theatre. I hadn't seen a 3D movie before, and was pretty impressed with the effect, though Pixar didn't go overboard with 3D effects. For me, it was just a more exciting/enhanced movie experience. If you don't want to pay more for it, don't.

For me, if a movie stirs emotions, and makes me laugh, it's a winner. For that reason, I give it a solid 9/10. Go see this one. You won't regret it.

:) B

No comments:

Post a Comment